I started off reading some of the Sookie Stackhouse books. I hate to admit it, but I am a True Blood fanatic and I could not wait for Season 3 to begin, so I started reading the books. Although not literary masterpieces, they are fun to read. Sometimes trash reading is good for the soul.
I have always found Vietnam an amazing subject, especially the life of the ordinary infantry soldier. When I heard that there was a new book out to rival Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, I knew I had to read that book. Which leads me to...Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War.
I highly recommend this book for anyone out there who loves to read about war. The language is pretty rough, but I would guess it was rough out there. The whole book focuses on about a month in the life of a Marine platoon, who essentially get screwed in their missions regarding a mountaintop that they constantly capture and abandon (kinda like Hamburger Hill). Although having a lot of military jargon, the book focuses on the experience of war, not the complexities of fighting war.Right now, I am reading the new vampire book (although they are considered infected people or "virals" in a post-apocalyptic US) called The Passage by Justin Cronin.
This book is frightening and well written (ignore the typos in the middle of the book...supposedly they rushed to print this book for the summer. Cronin has actually won some hefty literary awards for some books he has written in the past, but this is his first stab at horror/sci-fi. One of my favorite parts so far is the girl Amy, who somewhat transcends time and has different mental powers that can save people from the virals. To me, this book is a collage of The Road-The Stand-World War Z-Salem's Lot (all of these are great books and equally recommended). I should get done with this by the end of the week...this is one of those books that will keep you up all night reading.
With another short beach trip coming up, I am thinking about either reading Dennis Lehane's The Given Day (this is the same guy who wrote Shutter Island and Mystic River-great books and great movies) or Dave Cullen's Columbine. Either one looks good...I'm just not sure what mood I am in-historical fiction v. true crime.
Any recommendations out there?
I too want to read Columbine. It doesn't sound like our reading interests are too similar, but you may enjoy Same Kind of Different As Me or The Pact. Let me know what you think! They're 2 of my favorites. I also enjoyed Emma and Me.
ReplyDelete